Thursday, October 13, 2011

Found Argument: Mac OS X (Lion)

Recently, I updated the operating system on my Macbook from Leopard (10.5) to Lion (10.7). I decided to do this because I had a friend offer me one of his downloads from the Mac App Store and since it was free, I almost had nothing to lose. That is to say, I had nothing to lose that I was aware of. However, once I visited the Lion download page in the Mac App Store, I then realized that I possibly did have something to lose. There were a number of reviews of Lion below the description of the new operating system and as I read through those reviews, I started to see two different schools of thought: some people liked the new OS, some people seemed to hated it.
In the first school, the group that liked the new OS, I found a great number of folks that lauded the new user interface (UI) proclaiming that “Lion is King!” Also among those folks, many of them were impressed with the newly updated apps, the new smooth install process and the new iCloud. The second school thought is quite the opposite than the first. Many of them complained about the changes that were made and preferred the old OS. Particularly, I noticed many complaints about the new installation process through the Mac App Store. People seemed to be displeased because of download times and wanted the option of having an installation disk. Aside from the download time issue, some people were complaining about a bug that no longer allowed them to open iChat.
I’m finding that as I use the new OS, the more I like it. Many of the new updates can be changed to emulate the old OS, if you really don’t like them that much. In addition, the slow download times can mostly be summed up to slow Internet connections, which Apple shouldn’t really be held accountable for. However, I can see the irritation of not being given the option of an install disk, especially if I had a slow connection. Aside from that, I don’t see any reason to not upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment