Thursday, September 8, 2011

Found Argument: The Goatee.

I have a rather eccentric friend who often changes the style of his facial hair quite frequently. One week he will be clean shaven, the next he will have a beard and the next a moustache, and so on. He finds it amusing to switch it up and he calls it "keeping things fresh". Well, last week he emailed me and some other friends a photograph of his newest facial hair style. This time he had chosen the Goatee and was looking for feedback on the subject. Should he keep it or not? It wasn't long before an all out argument broke out about whether or not he should keep the goatee.

Group A was in favor. They all agreed that the goatee was "fashionable" and gave the wearer a certain "no nonsense air about him "that demanded the respect of anyone who may have seen him with it. They argued that the goatee has been around for hundreds of years and if it would please the wearer, then he should keep it. They all also agreed that the goatee added a few years to his face, so rather than looking like a 23 year old, they thought he looked more like a 25 year old.

Group B thought quite the opposite. They argued that the goatee made him look "old fashioned" and "out of style". They said the goatee was most popular in the 1990's and that it should stay there. In addition to all this, they had a personal distaste for the goatee and thought it was just plain "ugly".

I'm finding it quite difficult to really determine who has a better argument here. On one hand, I suppose one group has more evidence than the other and that, in turn, would win the argument. On the other, it seems like the personal preference of any man or woman should be what wins the argument. However, if I were to decide who was more convincing in this debate, I suppose I would side with Group A. Their evidence had real substance to it, i.e. it is a look that has been around a long time, and also it had less to do with personal preference than Group B.

No comments:

Post a Comment